To all of us nerds, William Shatner making out with Uhuru (and not just a little bit, but obviously enjoying himself), was great. Shatner had no issues jumping on women either on the television program (remember the green-skinned woman?) or in real life (as I’m sure he himself would attest). Shatner, also a macho jewish man (as opposed to nerdy images of Jews depicted in most mass media), by the way, is still going strong at 82, with a new one-man show out in which he reviews his career and (of course) the lasting appeal of “Star Trek.”
Yes, that’s right Captain James T. Kirk insisted on grabbing Uhura and thrusting her into his sweaty chest!
Seriously, for a Jewish man (who was not a big name back at the time) to insist on a steamy interracial love scene (which may have been the first on national television) was and is a huge deal.
So hats and toupees off to you, Bill Shatner, for loving black women enough to want to grab one for yourself!
- TV’s First Interracial Kiss (neatorama.com)
- William Shatner ‘Appalled’ by IRS ‘Star Trek’ Spoof – Yahoo! News (coralvillecourier.typepad.com)
- William Shatner ‘Appalled’ by IRS Star Trek Video (outsidethebeltway.com)
- William Shatner Slams IRS for ‘Star Trek’ Parody and Wasting Taxpayer’s Money (celebs.gather.com)
- Star Trek’s William Shatner blasts US tax video (loupdargent.info)
- AD OF THE DAY: William Shatner Battles Giant Lizard In Throwback Showdown (businessinsider.com)
- Nyota Uhura (en.memory-alpha.org)
- The Walking Dead’s Michael Rooker draws big crowd of zombie fans at Fan Expo (vancouversun.com)