Not really all that surprising, this article refers to a new study that essentially states that young children, given the opportunity, will flock toward those who look like they do. What a shocker!
Humans are tribal animals,who can be quite petty; attacking the frail and weak among us for having cancer, criticizing every aspect of how we may or may not live, antagonizing children into suicide (the current epidemic in bullying that clearly shows how little structure there really is in public education that allows for rampant bullying among other things), reinforcing gender stereotypes in corporate-sponsored reading programs, the rising cost of GED testing that’s causing many schools around the country to simply scrap the testing all-together….So is it a huge brain-buster that if schools are large enough to allow self-segregation children will go for that option?
As someone who’s taught in many colleges and public schools throughout the US, I can tell you that children will find ways to get along with whomever shows them acceptance. But I’ve also worked in schools where there was no diversity of any kind; and racism ran unchecked and bullying was the norm.
In a self-contained environment where there is no or little diversity would impressionable children seek out that which is not there? Why would they risk peer approval (which is the stamp of approval from God to most kids) struggling with something they need not face at all? Schools across the country are still very segregated, despite Obama‘s claims that they are not and perhaps becoming more so with all the closures and “race to the top” funding deficits.
When schools these days are the size of small towns with multiple buildings, multiple floors in each building, and most schools still being in “black neighborhoods” or “white neighborhoods” or “hispanic neighborhoods” kids can pretty much choose who they wish to be around – so they pick their mirror images, who will of course be less challenging socially.
Put those same children in environments where they must interact with diversity or not function at all, and they’ll learn to accept everyone as equal for the most part, to everyone else. Put them in huge townships where they can interact with whomever and you’ll keep getting the world we already have.
- Bullying in Preschool: What Parents Need to Know (education.com)
- Interracial Friendships Less Likely, Self-Segregation More Common in Larger Schools (medicaldaily.com)
- Bullying in Early Adolescence: The Role of the Peer Group (education.com)
- Bullying Information Center | Education.com (education.com)
- Gay marriage at the Supreme Court: Did interracial marriage opponents claim to be helping the children? – Slate Magazine (interracetoday.com)
- Jewish rebel pursues interracial romance in a controversial Dutch film – Heritage Florida Jewish News (interracetoday.com)
- Group size affects racial makeup of friend groups (sciencenews.org)
- Girl Scouts target bullying with new program (stltoday.com)
- My baby and I, getting ready to start the day lol An interracial … (fuckyeainterracialcouples.tumblr.com)
- The bigger the group, the smaller the chance of interracial friendship (chimac.net)