When I saw the headline, I have to admit that I was surprised. (Of course this is a blog and this is my opinion).
My first thought was, how did Zimmerman’s attorneys get whoever was representing Trayvon Martin’s family to roll over so easily?
Everybody who has ever been in front of a jury or worked in the court or criminal justice system or any legal field will tell you that who a jury is comprised of is critical to how they will rule.
Remember the OJ trial anyone?
Somehow Zimmerman’s wealthy and connected father (a former judge himself) was (I’m guessing) able to pull some strings behind the scenes or someone caved. Of course this is just my opinion as a former probation officer and mediator, but how do you think a jury of five white women and one hispanic will judge Zimmerman’s shooting of Trayvon Martin? How did they get away with such an unbalanced jury?
My guess is that only the lawyers know what deals were cut behind closed doors, but it appears to me that the verdict can already be read and we already know what it will read – not guilty.
- All-Female Jury Chosen for Zimmerman Trial (bet.com)
- Zimmerman Jury Selected: All-Female Jury To Decide Zimmerman’s Fate (webpronews.com)
- Zimmerman Jurors Questioned About Presumption Of Innocence (newsone.com)
- All-Female Jury Chosen In Zimmerman Trial (newsone.com)
- Zimmerman Jury Selected, Trial To Start Monday (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Zimmerman jurors asked about neighborhood watch (thegrio.com)
- Selection Of Jurors In Zimmerman Trial Can Make Or Break Defense (newsone.com)
- Zimmerman jurors asked about innocence (abcactionnews.com)
- Mostly white, all-female jury selected for Zimmerman trial (rawstory.com)
- Is This Fair? Mostly White, All Female Jury Chosen In Zimmerman Murder Trial (madamenoire.com)