A German candy manufacturer has pulled its racist candy licorice off store shelves after numerous complaints that the candy pieces, some of which depict African imagery and others that depict “Sambo” type of caricatures were and are offensive to anyone with a functioning cerebral cortex (and of course, this is my opinion, but the product was pulled). I’m sure the company in question had no ill will, but the product did garner sufficient attention.
Everybody likes Mountain Dew. It’s a pleasant tasting soda, full of caffeine that everybody needs to function, right?
So why do they put up an ad that is undeniably racist, sexist, and debasing to both black men and women as well? Maybe they think only affluent whites drink Mountain Dew so will find this commercial so amusing it’ll make them want to run out to their nearest 7-11 for some “dew?”
- Lil Wayne’s Emmett Till Lyric To Get Him Dropped From Mountain Dew Deal? (popularcritic.com)
- Emmett Till’s Family Wants Mountain Dew to Drop Lil Wayne (bet.com)
- Lil Wayne To Lose Mountain Dew Sponsor? (hot1079philly.com)
- Lana Del Rey & Diet Mountain Dew (brandsandfilms.com)
- Emmett Till’s Family Putting The Pressure On Lil Wayne To Get Dropped From Mountain Dew (hot937.cbslocal.com)
- Fleet Update: 2007 Audi Q7 (motortrend.com)
- Emmett Till’s Family Wants Mountain Dew to Drop Lil Wayne (complex.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Emmett Till’s Family Plans To Relentlessly Pursue Lil Wayne’s Sponsors (allhiphop.com)
- Mountain dew (stepaheadjournals.wordpress.com)
- Emmett Till’s Family Plans To Pressure Mountain Dew To Drop Lil Wayne [VIDEO] (hiphopwired.com)
I don’t drink, period. And I have my reasons, true believers.
While I won’t elaborate upon said reasons here and now, suffice it to say that I do know what it is to imbibe beer and other alcoholic “adult beverages” as they call them. And it’s no big loss.
But if you’re gonna get hammered, there’s no better way to do it, than by honoring the Nubian Queen.
Apparently the geniuses at Clown Shoes Beer (their name, not mine) came up with Brown Angel ale, and no it ain’t malt. But, if you’re gonna drink beer, it might as well be named for a sista and (look like, anyway) it features a black sista angel on the label.
According to the company’s website (here), the ale was “designed to have three distinct levels: a dark brown backbone with notes of chocolate and coffee….”
Now, for an ivory Jewish man with natty hair (and beard) who has never dated anything but the black woman, this is definitely a beer I can endorse…even though, of course, I don’t drink.
- Beer Review: Shark Attack Double Red from Port Brewing Company – Beer Sessions (thekitchn.com)
- Summer Beer Sipping: Magic Hat’s #9 (kcet.org)
- Thoughts on Beer Cans vs. Beer Bottles (bostinno.com)
- Where Booze Is Concerned, Americans Choose Beer Over Wine & Liquor (consumerist.com)
- Blending Lager with Witbier (klwatts.typepad.com)
- A Peach of a Beer (uncorkedunwrapped.wordpress.com)
- After check-in, a beer, perhaps? (economist.com)
- Best Local Breweries in Charlotte (apartmentguide.com)
- Review: Big Woods Pizza Co. (Nashville, Indiana) (strangedavid.wordpress.com)
- US poll: Pounding brews trumps sipping wine, pouring shots (redalertpolitics.com)