Interesting and very revealing.
It’s a sad statement on our society that a black woman who can’t get a decent job offer has to pretend to be white in order to be judged fairly…but for anyone stating that discrimination is still not a strong factor, think again!
It works across the board: black women being denied jobs on the basis of their ethnicity or racial identification is, unfortunately, nothing new.
How do you combat it? it depends. What are some strategies used? I’d love to hear input from readers. I’ve heard of people changing their names, refusing to self-identify, and then going to interview…but how to do you cope with a situation hard-wired against you? Just apply at “black” companies? If you’re a black woman do you apply only at companies run by black women? Typically people hire those who look like they do and act like they do so they can create social networks…so where does that leave those seeking to get a fair shot?
- Black Woman Pretends to Be White, Job Offers Skyrocket (secretsofthefed.com)
- Why Do Black Women Still Support Tyrese? (theroot.com)
- Black Woman Pretends To Be White, Job Offers Skyrocket (VIDEO) (addictinginfo.org)
- 10 Things Every Non-Black Person Should Know (By Now) About Black Women (thefrisky.com)
- Black Women in the Media: Mammy, Jezebel, or Angry (popularcritic.com)
- ‘The Face’ Winner, Devyn, Clears Up ‘Not Black Model’ Statement (eurweb.com)
- Tiger Dating: Should Black Women Care? (theroot.com)
- The Fate of the Black Woman (weareblackwomen.wordpress.com)
- Disgraced Official’s Wife Accuses Him in Texas Killings – New York Times (nytimes.com)
- Senate reaction to gun control vote – Politico (politico.com)