In a recent article entitled “Black Unemployment is Still Shamefully High,” from The Atlantic magazine (link here), the author for the well written piece brings attention to something our President either doesn’t care about or is somehow unable to do anything about, which is the fact that black unemployment has not gotten better during his run; and if anything it’s actually gotten much worse.
For “the most powerful man in the world” he seems strangely unable to do much of anything when it comes to institutionalized racism in the form of high unemployment, inner city blight, an educational system incapable of doing much more than warehousing. Is it that Congress and the Senate won’t let him do anything, that he really means well and is a great guy but is paralyzed by all the red tape? Or is it that he’s a person who loves to hear himself speak, loves the spotlight and power, but doesn’t care about others more than in terms of what they can do for him and his career? We’ll probably never know the real Obama, but we can see what’s going on in our world if we’re brave enough to open our eyes and assess.
Unemployment has gotten worse under Obama, and he laughs and preens and struts and even lectures black Americans, while he refuses to take action to ameliorate situations and institutions bent on crippling them either through inaction, malice, or ignorance (and does it ultimately matter the intent when the outcome is the same?).
How many of candidate Obama’s promises has he kept? None I can find.
The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, safety nets are taken down, schools continue on their downward slope, and Obama’s kids will be very well off for the rest of their lives. And perhaps that’s all that really matters- to him.
I applaud the Atlantic for being one of the few great magazines still being published and daring to address the issue.
- Black Unemployment Is Still Shamefully High (theatlantic.com)
- Tavis Smiley: White House Pressured Sponsors to Pull Support (theroot.com)
- Has Obama Failed Black Americans on Jobs? (theroot.com)
- National Urban League Says Black Unemployment Rates Have Increased (newsone.com)
- Obamas to Black Grads: Good Job. Now Stop Being Such a Failure (colorlines.com)
- Why there’s no ‘excuse’ for simplifying Obama’s message to Morehouse men (thegrio.com)
- Commentary: Why Won’t Washington Talk About Jobs? (bet.com)
- Did Blacks Start the Trend of Heckling Obama? (theroot.com)
- GOP Strategist Raynard Jackson Challenges President Obama, ‘Black Elite’ [OPINION] (newsone.com)
- Unemployment falls to 7.5 percent, black unemployment remains at 13.2 percent (thegrio.com)